? ??????????????What a Day? ????? ?? ???Rating: 5.0 (1 Rating)??5 Grabs Today. 2360 Total Grabs. ??????Pre
view?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????????????????Dark Glowings? ????? ?? ???Rating: 0.0 (0 Ratings)??0 Grabs Today. 628 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Recycle BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, January 11, 2010

Kesha - Animal cd review


With the success of her hit “Tik Tok”, I guess I felt I may as well see what the hype was about. If it was some random pop song, I would have overlooked Kesha (I a m not going to make the effort to put a dollar sign in place on place of an “s”), but she had the nerve to make a rap (-ish) song, so I had to investigate. I thought rapping would be her gimmick, but she does not rap on the whole cd. Actually, I did a little research and found out not only is she the voice behind the chorus of Flo Rida’s hit single “Right Round”, but she has done background vocals for Paris Hilton and Brittney Spears. That being said, you can tell Kesha is not going to be the voice of the generation, but in a cruel, ironic sort of way, she already is. The songwriting for the album is awful. There is no other way to put it. I was actually surprised that she only co-wrote her songs. I mean who would really pay money for lyrics like “lookin’ like pimps in my gold trans am, got a water bottle full of whiskey in my handbag, getting my drunk text on… dirty freak for all” (Take It Off) or “you’re looking like a tool not a baller/ you’re acting like a chick why bother” (Kiss N Tell). Subjectwise, it’s like an MTV reality show put to music; it really is all partying, getting drunk, other girls being “bitches”, and random sex. Not that all of those things are awful, but 15 songs of the same thing – C’mon. On the horrific, rather than just simply lackluster, collaboration with 30h!3 (I know, was I really expecting anything more) she flat out says “Turn around boy let me hit that”. I didn’t even know girls could do the turning around and hitting. To make matters worse, the whole album pretty much has the same dance floor ready beat, drowned with beeping and buzzing synthesizers. Honestly she is probably the voice of this generation, because she is a blatant product of pop culture. The music is horrible, because our culture (youth culture) is horrible. “Tik Tok” remains the album highlight, because it is one of the rare times the album is quotable in a good way. The only other few highlights seem like horrible rip offs from other artists. “Boys & Boots” is tolerable only because it sounds like a Lady Gaga B-side and “Dinosaur” is Gwen Stefani’s “Hollaback Girl”, except about old men. About two weeks ago I remember watching ABC World News and they reported how they use music to torture prisoners at Gitmo. Well, this collection of songs could subdue Osama Bin Laden himself. I officially have an appreciation for Lil’ Wayne’s Rebirth album now. This really is that bad… but I am sure “Tik Tok” will not be her only hit single from the album. It is the soundtrack of the generation after all.

2/10: Listen to: “Tik Tok”
Avoid: honestly the rest of the album, but in particular “Blah Blah Blah”, “Kiss N Tell”, and “Party at a Rich Dude’s House”

0 comments: